On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:08:35 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> I was going to say something along these lines, but to some extent this
> feels like an unfair finger pointing exercise. Huge files can be a PITA;
> having something that aids moving around them reduces the pain, but
> doesn't remove the fact that sometimes something is too big.

Indeed.

As a simple practical matter, it is often simpler to navigate a large
code base when you can open separate files in separate windows or tabs,
rather than one giant file.

An editor which supports multiple independent views of the same file can
mitigate that somewhat, good tooling helps (but also only goes so far),
but as the Zen says

    Namespaces are one honking great idea

Even if we could put the entire Python std lib in a single giant file
with half a million lines plus, we probably shouldn't.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson