On 06/16/2018 08:36 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
On 6/15/18 11:07 PM, Jim Lee wrote:
[snip]
I once had a Mustek color scanner that came with a TWAIN driver.  If
the room temperature was above 80 degrees F, it would scan in color -
otherwise, only black & white.  I was *sure* it was a hardware
problem, but then someone released a native Linux driver for the
scanner.  When I moved the scanner to my Linux box, it worked fine
regardless of temperature.

-Jim
That sounds like it would probably be classified as a software issue
then (or possibly documentation). It could be hardware if the Windows
SCSI card didn't support something it was expected to or perhaps
indicated that it did, or didn't negotiate correctly.

Ultimately, often the difference between a hardware error and a software
error is what the documentation says, I have seen more than once a
hardware document saying something like Feature A was intended to work
this way but the hardware doesn't work right to implement it, so the
software needs to do XYZ as a work around. So now, if the software
doesn't do XYZ it is a software error, all due to a hardware design
issue that was just redefined.

It was a software issue that manifested itself as a hardware failure.  However, SCSI was such a temperamental beast to begin with that finger pointing usually took as much time as diagnosing the problems.

-Jim