On 07/15/18 15:07, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Jim Lee <jle...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/15/18 14:53, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 7:02 AM, Jim Lee <jle...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/15/18 13:30, Chris Angelico wrote:

It doesn't matter what Twitch is, except for the fact that it is a
platform for HUMANS to communicate with HUMANS. Ultimately, that is
what matters. Pick any other web site or communication protocol you
please.

ChrisA

Yes, and for *that*, language matters;  but, for a vast array of
programming
tasks that *don't* involve global communications, it's an added level of
complexity with zero benefit.  It would be *nice* to be able to turn
support
on or off, depending on the requirements of the individual program or,
better yet, be able to simply ignore the feature(s).

Okay. Show me something where language doesn't matter, but you still
need characters.

ChrisA

You seem to be purposefully obfuscating things.

One language, not zero languages.  Obviously.
DeviCat's channel specifically has "English only" as chat rule #3, yet
you admit that it requires "language" and thus text. One language or
many, you need text. Nothing I ever said was assuming multiple
languages.

ChrisA

I have no clue what this has to do with the original point - that sometimes programs only need to deal with one language, not many (and emoji are tangential to the discussion).

-Jim