"Marko Rauhamaa"  wrote in message news:87zhyitjz2....@elektro.pacujo.net...

People new to Python are unnecessarily confused by talking about names
and binding when it's really just ordinary variables and assignment. It
seems to be mostly some sort of marketing lingo that seeks to create an
air of mystique around Python.

I don't think that is a fair comment.

I am not qualified to enter the debate itself, but as an 'outsider' I can offer two thoughts -

1. It seems that, whatever terminology we come up with, some other language will use similar terminology, but with a subtly different meaning. Newcomers to Python coming from that other language often get confused because they make certain assumptions, based on their other experience, which turn out to be unfounded in Python.

2. My 'aha' moment came early on when I read somewhere that Python objects have 3 attributes - a type, a value, and a unique id. One thing that they do *not* have is a name. Once I understood that, a lot of things became clearer.

Frank Millman