On 02/10/2018 19:22, Dan Purgert wrote:
Thomas Jollans wrote:
[...] (preferably, not in /usr - that's for OS-installed files only.
/usr/local is a nice place to put things you installed from source).

While I agree that /usr(/bin) is incorrect, I believe that "for
OS-installed files only" is taking it a bit far.

My (admittedly, dim) recollection of the FHS is that the /usr hierarchy
is for static[1] "user" binaries, libraries, and so on; while being
OS-agnostic (so long as that OS followed the FHS).

[1] "Static" in terms of the relevant filesystem being able to be
mounted RO and not cause any undue headaches.  I don't believe that the
FHS writers ever meant to imply that executables and symlinks thereto
were to be immutable such that installation of new / upgrading of
existing software is rendered impossible.

You're not wrong, but there's still a fairly strong convention that /usr/{bin,lib*,share,include} are only populated by (in some sense) non-essential components of the OS only, with varying definitions of "the OS". On Linux, this tends to mean "everything managed by the package manager", while on *BSD, it tends to exclude extra packages and ports collection.

Whether we agree on the terminology here or not, of course we can agree that you have to be bloody careful if you *do* decide to put things in /usr/bin yourself :-)

-- Thomas