On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 4:24 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ><blocks>
>
> Opening a tty device can also block[1].  However, if somebody is using
> the open() builtin on tty devices that's probably the least of their
> problems.

Depending on what you mean by "block", pretty much anything can. It's
not indefinite, but this is clearly an example of blocking behaviour:

rosuav@sikorsky:~$ mkdir gideon_home
rosuav@sikorsky:~$ sshfs gideon: gideon_home/
rosuav@sikorsky:~$ python3
Python 3.8.0a0 (heads/master:8b9c33ea9c, Nov 20 2018, 02:18:50)
[GCC 6.3.0 20170516] on linux
>>> import time
>>> time.time(); open("gideon_home/.bashrc"); time.time()
1546018477.1130645
<_io.TextIOWrapper name='gideon_home/.bashrc' mode='r' encoding='UTF-8'>
1546018477.8339248

Due to the latency introduced by having a completely-out-of-cache
remote access directory, simply opening an ordinary file with an
ordinary path took over half a second. But *this* type of blocking
access is NOT changed by adding os.O_NONBLOCK; it will still take that
half second even if you say "opener=nonblock". OTOH, this form of
blocking is a lot safer - normal file systems [1] might be slow, but
they can't deadlock, whereas a pipe most certainly could.

ChrisA

[1] Of course, you could use fusermount and shenanigans to do
basically anything. But at that point, you're deliberately shooting
yourself in the foot, and all I can advise is "don't do that".