On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Avi Gross <avigr...@verizon.net> wrote:

> The forthcoming UNIX 2038 problem will, paradoxically happen on January
19. I wonder what they will do long before then. Will they just add a byte
or four or 256 and then make a date measurable in picoseconds? Or will they
start using a number format that can easily deal with 1 Million B.C. and 5
Billion A.D. just in case we escape earth before it co-locates with the
expanding sun.

The obvious solution is to stop using 32-bit Unix timestamps and start
using 64-bit Unix timestamps. This change has already been made in some
OSes, and the problem will not repeat until the year 292,277,026,596, by
which time it is highly unlikely that either Unix timestamps or humankind
itself will still exist. Even if they will, that moment in time is so far
out from the present that I can't really be bothered by the possibility.

We have 19 years to take care of the problem before it happens. Hopefully
this time around we won't be trying to fix it right up until the last
minute.