Thomas Jollans schreef op 20/02/2019 om 12:48:

I'm fairly sure "win32" was used on W9x as well.

Indeed, it was used for all 32-bit Windows versions: both the 9x line and the NT line. There were differences, of course. For example there are many calls that take SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES parameters. On 9x those parameters simply didn't do anything.

In any case it *was*
correct at the time, as early versions of Python also ran on DOS and Windows 3.1. "windows" would not have been suitable.

The API in Windows 3.1 (and 3.0 and 3.11 I suppose) was called the Windows API at the time, later renamed to Win16 to distinguish it from Win32 in the newer 32-bit Windows versions.

And then there was also Win32s, a subset of the real Win32 used on Windows 3.1. And WinCE, but let's not go there.

--
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."

Roel Schroeven