On 2021-01-01 at 21:41:24 +0100,
jak <nos...@please.ty> wrote:

> Sorry if I made you argumentative ...

And I didn't mean to be argumentative.  :-)

We both offered alternatives, and we both argued for them (in the sense
of claiming that our own ideas were good).  Each solution is better,
depending on certain details of the OP's requirements.

> ... Furthermore, the OP will have already made its choice by now ...

We don't know that.

> ... Just one last comment: I understand your point of view but I
> disagree because the difficulty in providing assistance as the
> customer wishes depends on how you have designed the product and not
> on how you develop the pieces that compose it ...

I agree:  most companies have no more customer service.  :-)

Our business was emergency communications equipment; if we didn't
provide such assistance, or the equipment didn't do certain things,
there was a distinct possibility that someome could die.

When a police officer presses the button, he or she has to talk to the
dispatcher in 250ms or less.  Same for an emergency medical technician
in an ambulance.  A 60-second TCP timeout or an HTTP 503 error is not
okay.  You can't tell people in a burning building to wait until the
dispatch center has finished their upgrades, and you can't take the
whole fire department off line to upgrade the radios in all the trucks
at once.  It's not a matter of what's easiest to develop, or the easiest
to support.

I think I'm coming off gruffly again, but I don't mean to.

> ... One more thing: you probably don't care anymore, but people have
> taught me that if you give a customer something, you can't sell it to
> him anymore.

Please don't tell me what I do or don't care about.  :-)

I agree:  once you give something away for free, it's very difficult to
charge money for it later.  Believe me, we didn't give our
communications equipment (or the subsequent software upgrades, unless
there was a serious bug) away for free.  :-)