On 08/01/2021 18:21, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:18 AM Andrew Jaffe <a.h.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I don't know if this makes more sense here or on "python-ideas" (or
elsewhere?) but I'll try this first:

I am starting to encounter more and more instances of packages requiring
older, pinned, versions of modules, and this is occasionally actually
starting to cause conflicts.

The first thing to do is to see if those packages ACTUALLY need older
versions of those dependencies. There's a good chance they don't.

To avoid creating this sort of problem, don't depend on a highly
specific version of things; just depend on a minimum version, and if
there's a problem (ONLY if there's a problem), a maximum version.

Well, sure. But there's still the "aesthetic" problem that `pip[3] check` reports a problem in such a case, and the real (albeit correctable) problem that `pip[3] install --upgrade` will occasionally automatically downgrade required packages.

So perhaps my original query about whether there could be a way to actually solve this problem is still potentially interesting/useful.

AndrewJ

ChrisA