In comp.lang.python, Barry Scott  <ba...@barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> Alan Gauld via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
>> I've written a short program that is supposed to
>> - *clear the screen*,
>> - read some input
>> - display the result in a message *highlighted in bold*.
>> - get input to end the program
> It seems that curses does not allow you to mix raw stdin/stdout with its
> calls.

This sounds very plausable. In C, in curses one uses printw() not
printf().

> If all you want is simple things like bold and clear I'd just use the
> ANSI escape sequences directly.
>
> Are there any terminals that do not understand ANSI escape sequences
> these days?

Probably, I hear tales of people using odd set-ups from time to time.
But that could just be the circles I hang out in.

When I've wanted to do simple things like bold and clear, I've used the
tput(1) tool. You can capture stdout from the tool and use the output
over and over. Typically I've done this in shell scripts:

#!/bin/sh
bold=$(tput smso)       # set mode stand out
nobold=$(tput rmso)     # remove mode stand out
clear=$(tput clear)     # clear screen
home=$(tput home)       # home, without clear

for word in Ten Nine Eight Seven Six Five Four Three Two One; do
   echo "${clear}${bold}${word}${nobold} ..."
   sleep 1
done
echo "${home}Nothing happens."
exit

Elijah
------
adapting to python left as an excercise for the reader