Edwards wrote:

I don't wish to run configure, I want to hand-construct
the makefile. PDOS is a very simple system, so I only
want to produce a single executable, no DLLs etc. I
don't need extensions to work or anything, all I need
to be able to do is run asma.

Why not try to port MicroPython instead? Much lighter.
I've ported it to MSDOS/djgpp with some success.

However I'm currently stuck on this unresolved
external:

python.a(abstract.o)(.text+0x668c):abstract.c: undefined reference to
`PyExc_StopIteration'

It's in 'Objects/exceptions.c'. When in doubt, look at the
'python*.map' files. I assume you have managed to build
Python 3 on Windows (?).

And BTW, it's also forwarded from 'python3.dll' via some
hacks in 'python3dll.c' to the real Python in 'Python310.dll'
(in my case):
  pedump python3.dll | grep PyExc_StopIteration
    0000853A   227  PyExc_StopIteration (forwarder ->
python310.dll.PyExc_StopIteration)

  plus a lot more; it's quite ugly.

--
--gv