On 6/13/2021 1:44 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Does windows have a terminfo/termcap subsystem to deal with different
terminal types?

No. AFAIK

Or do the apps only work with the built-in terminal
windows implemented by command.com/cmd.exe?

The windows console is implemented by separate code. It is used Command Prompt, Powershell, Python, and other test-mode console applications.

I can't answer other questions. I imagine that *nix-like operations, one best use WSL? (Windows Subsystem for Linux?) or a Windows Bash imitation (Git bash, for instance). I believe git bash uses the same console as its interface.

--
Terry Jan Reedy