> On 5 Oct 2021, at 22:07, Mohsen Owzar <mohsen.ow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for an approach, but couldn't find any appropriate answer to my
> problem:
> On my GUI on a tablet, I have bunch of QlineEdit widgets for the settings of
> my task.
> Because we have no keyboard connected to the tablet, I have put two buttons
> ("+" and "-") around each QLineEdit widget to increase or decrease its value.
> When the target value is far away from the displayed one in the QLineEdit, I
> have to click lots of times to reach the end value.
> Due to this ugliness feature, I wanted to offer to the user the possibility
> to click in the edit field to get another window with a numeric keypad to
> type the target value. And then by clicking an OK button, the new window will
> be closed and the typed value will be taken into the QLineEdit widget of my
> original GUI.
> In all my searches, I found examples to open new windows by clicking a button
> and not by clicking in an edit field.

What I have done is use mouse move events to change values.
I touch the field then drag my finger to change the value.
I only use linear scaling but you could have code that can tell slow drag
from fast drag and scale the value.

> I used the following line to have an edit field on window1.
>
>        self.text_from_window2 = QLineEdit('Setting Value')
>
> And wanted to open another window (window2) in which I programmed a numeric
> keypad. By typing the desired value on this keypad and enter OK, this value
> should be taken to the edit field of window1.
> But the following line brings an error that QLineEdit has no attribute
> "clicked".
>
>        self.text_from_window2.clicked().connect(self.show_keypad_window)
>
> I tried to use other attributes like focus, textChanged or textEdited. None
> of them could help me.
> Is it at all possible to use QLineEdit with mouse click to generate an action
> (open new window)?
> Has anyone an example of such a code snippet?
> I am very curious to see if someone has a solution to my problem.

By the way there is a great PyQt mailing list that you might like to join.

Lots of knowledgeable PyQt developers hang out on that list.

Barry