On 2022-02-10 20:00, Jen Kris via Python-list wrote:
With the help of PyErr_Print() I have it solved.  Here is the final code (the
part relevant to sents):

    Py_ssize_t listIndex = 0;
    pListItem = PyList_GetItem(pFileIds, listIndex);
    pListStrE = PyUnicode_AsEncodedString(pListItem, "UTF-8", "strict");
    pListStr = PyBytes_AS_STRING(pListStrE); // Borrowed pointer

    // Then:  sentences = gutenberg.sents(fileid) - this is a sequence item
    PyObject *c_args = Py_BuildValue("s", pListStr);
    PyObject *args_tuple = PyTuple_New(1);
    PyTuple_SetItem(args_tuple, 0, c_args);

    pSents = PyObject_CallObject(pSentMod, args_tuple);

    if ( pSents == 0x0){
        PyErr_Print();
        return return_value; }

As you mentioned yesterday, CallObject needs a tuple, so that was the problem.
Now it works.

You also asked why I don't just use pListStrE.  I tried that and got a long
error message from PyErr_Print.  I'm not far enough along in my C_API work to
understand why, but it doesn't work.

Thanks very much for your help on this.

You're encoding a Unicode string to a UTF-8 bytestring:

    pListStrE = PyUnicode_AsEncodedString(pListItem, "UTF-8", "strict");

then pointing to the bytes of that UTF-8 bytestring:

    pListStr = PyBytes_AS_STRING(pListStrE); // Borrowed pointer

then making a Unicode string from those UTF-8 bytes:

    PyObject *c_args = Py_BuildValue("s", pListStr);

You might was well just use the original Unicode string!

Try this instead:

   Py_ssize_t listIndex = 0;
   pListItem = PyList_GetItem(pFileIds, listIndex);
   //> pListItem?

   pSents = PyObject_CallFunctionObjArgs(pSentMod, pListItem, 0);
   //> pSents+?

   if (pSents == 0x0){
       PyErr_Print();
       return return_value;