On 10/10/2022 9:21 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
On 09/10/2022 10.49, Avi Gross wrote:
Anton

There likely are such programs out there but are there universal agreements
on how to figure out when a new safe zone of code starts where error
testing can begin?

For example a file full of function definitions might find an error in
function 1 and try to find the end of that function and resume checking the
next function.  But what if a function defines local functions within it?
What if the mistake in one line of code could still allow checking the next
line rather than skipping it all?

My guess is that finding 100 errors might turn out to be misleading. If you fix just the first, many others would go away. If you spell a variable name
wrong when declaring it, a dozen uses of the right name may cause errors.
Should you fix the first or change all later ones?

How does one declare a variable in python? Sometimes it'd be nice to
be able to have declarations and any undeclared variable be flagged.

When I was writing F77 for a living, I'd (temporarily) put:
       IMPLICIT CHARACTER*3
at the beginning of a program or subroutine that I was modifying,
in order to have any typos flagged.

I'd love it if there was something similar that I could do in python.

The Leo editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor) will notify you of undeclared variables (and some syntax errors) each time you save your (Python) file.