First off, a big shout out to Peter J. Holzer, who mentioned roaring bitmaps a few days ago and led me to quite a discovery.

Now I am stuck with an internal dispute with another software architect (well, with a software architect, I should say, as I probably shouldn't define myself a software architect when confronted with people with more experience than me in building more complex systems). Anyway, now that I know what roaring bitmaps are (and what they can do!), my point is that we should abandon other attempts to build a caching layer for our project and just veer decidedly towards relying on those magic bitmaps and screw anything else. Sure, there is some overhead marshaling our entries into integers and back, but the sheer speed and compactness of RBMs trump any other consideration (according to me, not according to the other guy, obviously).

Long story short: I want to prototype a couple of caching strategies in Python using bitmaps, and measure both performance and speed.

So, here are a few questions from an inexperienced programmer for you, friends. Apologies if they are a bit "open ended".

- How would you structure the caching so that different caching strategies are "pluggable"? change one line of code (or even a config file) and a different caching strategy is used in the next run. Is this the job for a design pattern such as factory or facade?

- what tool should I use to measure/log performance and memory occupation of my script? Google is coming up with quite a few options, but I value the opinion of people here a lot.

Thank you for any feedback you may be able to provide.

Dino