On 23/02/2023 18:09, Mats Wichmann wrote:
I seem to always have trouble with lxml (which I know doesn't help).

The cause would seem to be this:

     GH-101291: Refactor the `PyLongObject` struct into object header and
PyLongValue struct. (GH-101292)

So it looks to me like cython was affected, and has patched themselves. It's possible regenerating with a patched cython will clear up the build problem (something which the lxml project takes pains to tell you that you don't really want to do :)
Thanks Mats,

I build a cython wheel from git latest and after installing into
python-3.12.0a5 I used latest lxml source and

 python setup.py bdist_wheel --with-cython

which built without error. The installed lxml seems fine (at least for
reportlab tests).
--
Robin Becker