On 5/5/23 04:39, c.bu...@posteo.jp wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

Am 05.05.2023 03:24 schrieb aapost:
pygettext is deprecated since xgettext supports python now, so using
xgettext is recommended.

If this is the official case then it should be mentioned in the python docs. The 3.11 docs still tell about pygettext and xgettext and don't recommend one of it.

Yep, no disagreement. A lot of things 'should' be though, and technically it is (which docs being the key, lol):

$man pygettext

PYGETTEXT(1) General Commands Manual PYGETTEXT(1)

NAME
       pygettext - Python equivalent of xgettext(1)

SYNOPSIS
       pygettext [OPTIONS] INPUTFILE ...

DESCRIPTION
pygettext is deprecated. The current version of xgettext supports many languages, including Python.

pygettext uses Python's standard tokenize module to scan Python source code, generating .pot files identical to what GNU xgettext generates for C and C++ code. From there, the standard GNU tools can be used.

pygettext searches only for _() by default, even though GNU xgettext recognizes the following keywords: gettext, dgettext, dcgettext, and gettext_noop. See the -k/--keyword flag below for how to augment this.

(I have never used either, I just spent a few minutes trying to be helpful =P)