I'm having a real hard time trying to do anything to a string (?)
returned by mailbox.MaildirMessage.get().

I'm extracting the Subject: header from a message and, if I write what
it returns to a log file using the python logging module what I see
in the log file (when the Subject: has non-ASCII characters in it) is:-

    =?utf-8?Q?aka_Marne_=C3=A0_la_Sa=C3=B4ne_(Waterways_Continental_Europe)?=

Whatever I try I am unable to change the underscore characters in the
above string back to spaces.

So, what do those =?utf-8? and ?= sequences mean?  Are they part of
the string or are they wrapped around the string on output as a way to
show that it's utf-8 encoded?

If I have the string in a variable how do I replace the underscores
with spaces?  Simply doing "subject.replace('_', ' ')" doesn't work,
nothing happens at all.

All I really want to do is throw the non-ASCII characters away as the
string I'm trying to match in the subject is guaranteed to be ASCII.

--
Chris Green
ยท