On 5/14/2023 3:00 PM, Grizzy Adams via Python-list wrote:
Sunday, May 14, 2023  at 11:11, Mats Wichmann wrote:
Re: PythonPath / sys.path (at least in part)
[snip]
I have since moved up (a little) so only ~4 years old, I then updated pip from
9.x to 19.1

reason its an old version is it's an old PC (XpPro), if I start to get passable

at this I will try it on my Ubuntu box which is running 22.04 (latest LTS) and
23.04, (23.10 daily builds soon) I took a look and it seems I "may" have to
play a little to get IDLE on (if it's not in the normal repo's)

I seem to have managed to sort "PythonPath / sys.path" the environment variable

is working, so I can now import my_work without any other hassle, which is
good, now I find that some of the files which worked a treat from GUI, Editor
(F5) or terminal but don't do the same once saved and imported later, I'm sure
it's me, I have come from VB/VBA, Delphi and a (very) little C++, and am still
working through the python tutorial, trying not to skip ahead (ok I did skip
"Hello World" :->) so I may end up asking some (senior moment) newbie
questions, I will try hard to work it out myself first

Thanks to all who got me thus far

Good to hear you can run your program. For future reference, when you talked about setting PYTHONPATH, it would have been helpful to know just what you did when you tried to set it.

If you plan to use this directory location much of the time, two good ways to do so are 1) putting that path in a .pth file in the site-packages directory, or 2) launching Python using a batch file that sets PYTHONPATH first, then runs Python. On Windows, in a batch file you should use SETLOCAL before setting PYTHONPATH and ENDLOCAL at the end of the batch file. That's the easiest way to remove the PYTHONPATH variable after you are done with it.

You made a little slam against Windows, but you will find it harder to get things working on Linux. Ubuntu, like many other Linux distros, does not come with pip and Tk (needed for Idle) installed, and it's not so obvious how to install them.

For your old computer, I added an external 1TB solid state drive (Note: not a usb stick) to a decade-old Sony VAIO and installed Linux Mint to the SSD. It's got pretty decent responsiveness and all the old hardware is supported out of the box.