On 2023-10-24, Dan Purgert via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> On 2023-10-24, o1bigtenor wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> (Sorry for a nebulous subject but dunno how to have a short title for
>> a complex question.)
>> [...]
>> Is there a way to verify that a program is going to do what it is
>> supposed to do even before all the hardware has been assembled and
>> installed and tested?
>
> In short, no.
>
> Reality is a mess, and even if you've programmed/perfectly/ to the
> datasheets (and passed our unit-tests that are also based on those
> datasheets), a piece of hardware may not actually conform to what's
> written.  Maybe the sheet is wrong, maybe the hardware is faulty, etc.

And the specified customer requirements are usually wrong too. Sure,
the customer said it is supposed to do X, but what they actually
needed was Y.

And the protocol spec isn't quite right either.  Sure, it says "when A
is received reply with B", but what everybody really does is slighty
different, and you need to do what everybody else does, or the widget
you're talking to won't cooperate.

And floating point doesn't really work the way you think it
does. Sometimes it does, close-enough, for the test-cases you happened
to choose...