On 12/29/23 08:02, Karsten Hilbert via Python-list wrote:

Dict[str, str] means the key type and value type should both be strings,

Indeed, I know that much, list[dict[str, str]] is what is getting
passed in in this particular invocation of run_rw_queries().

For what it's worth here's the signature of that function:

        def run_rw_queries (
                link_obj:_TLnkObj=None,
                queries:list[dict[str, str | list | dict[str, Any]]]=None,
                end_tx:bool=False,
                return_data:bool=None,
                get_col_idx:bool=False,
                verbose:bool=False
        ) -> tuple[list[dbapi.extras.DictRow], dict[str, int] | None]:

Given that I would have thought that passing in
list[dict[str, str]] for "queries" ought to be type safe.
Mypy indicates otherwise which I am not grokking as to why.

ah... didn't grok what you were asking, sorry - ignore my attempt then. So you are passing something that has been typed more narrowly than the function parameter. Can you use a TypeGuard here?