On 2024-03-21 11:36, Johanne Fairchild via Python-list wrote:
Why is a whl-package called a ``wheel''?  Is it just a pronunciation for
the extension WHL or is it really a name?

Also, it seems that when I install Python on Windows, it doesn't come
with pip ready to run.  I had to say

   python -m ensurepip

and then I saw that a pip on a whl-package was installed.  Why doesn't
the official distribution make pip ready to run by default?  Thank you!

When I install Python on Windows, I always get pip by default, although it might not be on the system search path.

As it's recommended to use the Python Launcher py on Windows, I use that instead:

py -m pip install something

because it gives better support if you have multiple versions of Python installed.