On 2024-05-20 00:26:03 +0200, Roel Schroeven via Python-list wrote:
> Skip Montanaro via Python-list schreef op 20/05/2024 om 0:08:
> > > Modern debian (ubuntu) and fedora block users installing using pip.
> >
> > Even if you're telling it to install in ~/.local? I could see not allowing
> > to run it as root.
>
> I assumed pip install --user would work, but no. I tried it (on Debian 12
> (bookworm)):
>
> > $ pip install --user docopt
> > error: externally-managed-environment
> >
> > × This environment is externally managed
> > ╰─> To install Python packages system-wide, try apt install
> >     python3-xyz, where xyz is the package you are trying to
> >     install.
> >
> >     If you wish to install a non-Debian-packaged Python package,
> >     create a virtual environment using python3 -m venv path/to/venv.
> >     Then use path/to/venv/bin/python and path/to/venv/bin/pip. Make
> >     sure you have python3-full installed.
> >
> >     If you wish to install a non-Debian packaged Python application,
> >     it may be easiest to use pipx install xyz, which will manage a
> >     virtual environment for you. Make sure you have pipx installed.
> >
> >     See /usr/share/doc/python3.11/README.venv for more information.
> >
> > note: If you believe this is a mistake, please contact your Python
> > installation or OS distribution provider. You can override this, at the
> > risk of breaking your Python installation or OS, by passing
> > --break-system-packages.
> > hint: See PEP 668 for the detailed specification.
>
> Exactly the same output for sudo pip install.

This message (quoted in all its glory) is too long to be useful. The
important bit is at the end:

> > You can override this, at the risk of breaking your Python
> > installation or OS, by passing --break-system-packages.

(I admit I didn't see this the first time I got this message)

python3 -m pip install --user --break-system-packages <packagename>
does indeed install into ~/.local/lib/python3.XX/site-packages.

This inconvenient, but otoh I have accidentally installed packages into
~/.local in the past, so maybe it's good to make that more explicit.

        hp