On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 09:24, Johhny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to write some scripts to get information from the
> xmlrpc for redhat network. One of the issues I am having is trying to
> strip off the special characters in the hash that is returned. Here is
> an example of the information returned within the hash :
>
> ===SNIP===
> {'errata_update_date': '2005-12-06', 'errata_topic': 'Updated
> libc-client packages that fix a buffer overflow issue are
> now\navailable.\n\nThis update has been rated as having moderate
> security impact by the Red\nHat Security Response Team.',
>
> [...]
>
> What I had attempted to do is use the replace() function but it
> consistantly comes up with the following errors:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "rhn_errata.py", line 63, in ?
>     errata_package = errata_package.strip('\n','')
> AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'strip'
>
> where errata_package is JUST the errata_topic hash value.

errata_package is obviously not just the errata_topic hash value,
because that would be a string, and python for some reason seems to
believe that errata_package is a dictionary.

Also note that once you correct that problem, python will complain that
strip() doesn't take 2 parameters, since you actually mean replace().

-Carsten