On 2006-01-27, rbt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm... when I copy the file to a different drive, it takes up
> 409,600,000 bytes. Also, an md5 checksum on the generated file and on
> copies placed on other drives are the same. It looks like a regular, big
> file... I don't get it.

Because the filesystem code keeps track of where you are in
that 400MB stream, and returns 0x00 anytime you're reading from
a "hole".  The "cp" program and the "md5sum" just open the file
and start read()ing.  The filesystem code returns 0x00 bytes
for all of the read positions that are in the "hole", just like

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  They
                                  at               collapsed... like nuns