Larry Bates wrote:
> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> Which of the Windows/Unix package builders for Python applications is
>> capable of creating single-file executables? I'm thinking of:
>>
>> 1. py2exe
>> 2. Mcmillan Installer/PyInstaller
>> 3. cxfreeze
>>
>> The apps I've seen created by py2exe aren't single-file at all, the
>> install folder is full of files besides the main program. I'm looking
>> for a solution that stuffs all libraries, scripts, and the Python
>> runtime into one file.
>>

> I use py2exe and Inno Installer and get to a single file installation
> that way.  Inno creates setup.exe as a single file.  That file may
> actually expand into several files upon installation (which is
> typical as you want readme.txt, history.txt, other documentation,
> maybe example .ini file, etc.).  IMHO the fact that py2exe doesn't
> create a single exe is a non-problem.  What other Windows app when
> installed only installs <progname>.exe and NO OTHER FILES.  Inno
> solves the problem of only having a single .exe to DISTRIBUTE
> which I think is the real goal.  Inno also lets you automate the
> creation of desktop/quicklaunch/startbutton icons, insertion of
> items into the registry, and a whole host of other "stuff" that
> normally must be done to complete a proper installation.  With some
> plug-ins, you can even have it get updates from a website (I have
> not tested this, but I've read about it).
>
> If you want to "obscure" your programs use the bundle option and
> py2exe imbeds the .ZIP file inside the .EXE file (making it
> somewhat harder to hack).
>
> -Larry Bates

It's not so much for "obscurity" as simplicity.

Tcl/Tk allows you to pack everything into a single file: it's called a
"starpack." You can use an installer, but it's not necessary--the file
can be uninstalled by moving it to the recycle bin.

On Mac OS X, applications are typically deployed as a "bundle"--the .app
extension is actually a directory that looks like a single file. All the
libraries, etc. can be placed inside.

The install directories that are created by py2exe, at least the ones
I've seen in the past, seem messy by comparison. As I understand it, the
latest version allows you to do "one-file-deployment," which is what I'm
looking for. PyInstaller also does this, from what I'm told.

So, I'm interested in that type of functionality.

--
Kevin Walzer
iReveal: File Search Tool