Michael Tobis wrote:

> That said, and conceding that the first impression is positive, I don't
> see how it represents Python. More to the point, the longer I look at
> it the less I like it, and I would NOT wear it on a T-shirt.

over 25 people disagree with you so far and thats without any
advertising whatsoever (and it's an older version of the logo) because
you can get T-Shirts from cafepress.com/pydotorg and any profits go to
the psf.

I'll add the new logo over the weekend.

>>The + formation is positive enough, and it has a yin-yang
>>feel to it which to me conjures up the image of balance, not
>>divisiveness.
>
> Both the cross and the yin-yang have religious associations, which will
> be positive for some and negative for others but will certainly be
> unrepresentative of what Python is. This would be a great logo for
> Taoist Christians, if such a group exists.
>
> How is Python about "balance"? It is about abstraction, composition,
> the whole greater than the parts, yes, but there's nothing there that
> really draws on duality. So the whole two-ness of the thing is one of
> the parts that disturbs me.

They're freindly snakes at a tadpole fancy dress competition having a
'cuddle'. Where do you think Python eggs come from...

Tim Parkin

p.s. the logo is actually based on mayan representations of snakes which
very often represent only the head and perhaps a short length of tail.
The structure of the snake representations the natural coiling/nesting
of a snake as seen side on.. The following image shows a similar
representation (we have a snake house nearby which makes it easier to
observe behaviour)

http://www.xcalak.info/images/florafauna/fer_de_lance_l.jpg

The mesoamerican calendar also represents snake heads in a similar manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzolkin

The abstraction of the snake design used in mayan culture seemed
non-denominational enough to only raise contrived objections. The shapes
used (cross/spiral/yin-yang) are also primitive enough that there will
always be connotations that can be derived.

http://www.alovelyworld.com/webhon/gimage/hdu011.jpg

http://www.khoahoc.com.vn/photos/Image/2005/11/16/maya-snake.jpg

http://www.xcalak.info/images/florafauna/fer_de_lance_l.jpg

The two headed snake was also an influence on the design

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bjayatil/British%20Museum%20&%20London/slides/17-aztec_snake.html

which is also a common 'meme' in many continents, including africa

http://www.sfu.ca/archaeology/museum/ndi/cam5.jpg

And I'd like to see you tell a civil war soldier that it looks like his
trousers are held up by a two headed tadpole

http://www.civilwarrelics.com/museum/graphics/Frame25a.JPG

If you look carefully at the logo, you will also see an indian symbol of
peace.. (I'll leave this one alone as it can also mean something else).