sturlamolden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>
> > Dunno. Depends on the machine. Depends on the program. Depends on how
> > the interpreter and any extension modules and underlying libraries were
> > built. Depends on which Linux and which Windows.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but your question is a non sequitur. I don't understand its
> > relevance to this thread.
>
> The relevance: Python is built with GCC on Linux. Do you or do you not
> see a performance hit on Linux?
>
> MinGW is GCC. Will you get a performance hit when building Python with
> MinGW?

I cannot predict this, though it would be great if somebody who does
have both VS2003 and mingw could give it a try.

What I did just post on another thread over the last couple of days is
about MacOSX, which also uses gcc: 14% faster pybench using Python 2.4.3
under Win2000 under Parallels Workstation beta, compared to 2.4.3
Universal directly on MacOSX -- the standard build of 2.4.3 in either
cause, i.e., the one built with MS compilers on Windows, vs the one
built with Apple's gcc on MacOSX.

Alex