On Mar 18, 2010, at 09:50 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:

>after a merge bazaar requires a local commit nonetheless.
>
>However, the difficulty and confusion IMHO arises from
>the commit-message, necessary that way also.
>
>As you may see in the current trunk now, your revision
>353 is gone completely.
>
>It's place is taken by my patch, while your changing
>appears as rev 354 but with my commit message.
>
>Or made I some mistake?

I don't think you made any mistake, I think it's just the way dvcs in general,
and Bazaar in particular handles things.

The fundamental problem of course is that revision numbers (e.g. 353) are by
definition local and not stable.  If I were to commit a change now, it would
be r355 locally.  If you did the same thing we'd both have r355 in our local
repositories.  The first one of us to push to the master branch would "win"
and the second would have to first merge and then push, which I'm sure is what
you did.

Every revision also has a "revision id", which is a globally unique, but not
human friendly, id that will never change.

% bzr log -c 354 --show-ids
revno: 354 [merge]
revision-id: andreas.roeh...@online.de-20100318083644-0msjrlaxvmv4mlvl
parent: andreas.roeh...@online.de-20100123170127-dqmdxlkb156bncvb
parent: ba...@python.org-20100119204450-7iekyt7gnxw2qhfn
committer: Andreas Roehler <andreas.roeh...@online.de>
branch nick: 328781-bod-lands-in-string
timestamp: Thu 2010-03-18 09:36:44 +0100
message:
  revision/353 Fix some indentation merged
Use --include-merges or -n0 to see merged revisions.

You can see that the parent of your change is my indentation change:

% bzr log -c ba...@python.org-20100119204450-7iekyt7gnxw2qhfn
revno: 352.1.1
committer: Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org>
branch nick: python-mode
timestamp: Tue 2010-01-19 15:44:50 -0500
message:
  Fix some indentation.

and the revno gets a dotted path, which is unique to the master branch (and
once you've reconciled/merged it to your local branch, yours as well).  This
shows the parenting relationship between the revisions.

Normally, this is hidden because it's mostly uninteresting, but it does make
things confusing in cases like this.  Suffice to say that Bazaar makes it
pretty difficult for you to do anything destructive like "lose" a revision.

IOW, you did the right thing!

-Barry