Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> writes:

>>How do I invoke pdbtrack from python-mode?

> It's really easy.  You still insert 'import pdb; pdb.set_trace()' at the spot
> in your code where you want to break.  Then run your code from a shell buffer.
> When you hit the break point, you'll drop into pdb.  pdb-track will notice the
> new prompt and you'll be able to interact with it right there.  You'll use pdb
> commands but you'll get the nice two-screen view with code tracking.

Hi, python-mode people.

I quote Barry's explanation above, as an example of fruitful
instructions about how to use python-mode.  Looking at the mailing list
archives, here and there, I read other nice advice or tricks.

But it's a pity that these did not get collected into a user
documentation.  So my suggestions:

* take the above quote and drop it *as is* within the README file (yes,
  the README, not in the doc/ directory, nor any fancier place).  Right
  now, without hesitation.

* whenever any usage advice is given on the list, someone with commit
  powers immediately copies it, as is, within the README.

* do not try to devise a fancy structure or flowing text right away, the
  emergency right now is to give some informational meat to users,
  rather than a nice structure filled with lots of TBDs (to be done).
  The TBDs should go to the TODO file (which, by the way, is the
  traditional capitalisation for it), not in the README.

* do not worry, structure will come very naturally, later, as material
  accumulates within README.  Information first, structure later.

* integrate the INSTALL file within README, get rid of it as a separate
  file.  It is not worth a file as it stands right now.  Let it grow
  within README, and give it an existence in a separate file only when
  it will hold enough substance to be worth its own file.  Do not think
  "INSTALL exists so people may start without having to read README".
  On the contrary, manage so users will more likely peruse README.

* get rid of doc/, or at least change its name.  Users are mislead to
  think there is a documentation in there that is usable for them.

François

P.S. Reading further, Barry wrote:

> I owe Ken Manheimer a lifetime supply of [insert beverage] for this
> beautiful hack.

Sigh!  If only I could have developed something so attractive that Barry
did such an offer to *me*.  I spoiled my life! :-)