Never tried it, but you might want to see if
"WTSRegisterSessionNotification" [
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383841.aspx] works in the python
win32 API. You can register your window to receive notification
automatically when a user logs in, logs out, locks the machine, unlocks,
etc.

Steven James