Adam Pletcher wrote:
> I have Python 2.6.2 (32-bit) and pywin32 212, on Vista 64.
>
> Using the “context_menu” sample script as reference, I made a script
> that registers a shell extension, adding a couple right-click commands
> to 32-bit Explorer.  I now need to register it for use in 64-bit
> Explorer, but can’t seem to work it out (short of manually adding keys
> in regedit).  I actually have the ContextMenuHandlers registry keys in
> both 32 and 64 hives, it’s the CLSID entry in the 64 hive that appears
> to be the missing piece.  Basically whatever RegisterClasses does?
>
> Is there an example somewhere showing how to register a shell
> extension for 64-bit Explorer when running 32-bit Python?  I haven’t
> been able to turn one up in my searching.

Do you actually have a 64-bit build of your extension DLL?  You can't
load a 32-bit DLL into a 64-bit process.

There is an API to turn off the file system redirection (which makes all
of your 32-bit process's requests for System32 instead go to SysWow64),
but I'm not aware of an API to turn off the registry redirection.  You
need to specify KEY_WOW64_64KEY in the permission field of RegOpenKeyEx
to access the 64-bit hive from a 32-bit application.