pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
> Is it possible to update an exe file's properties and/or icon file via
> the win32api library? By exe file properties I mean the properties
> typically set via a resource file when an exe file is created. Example
> properties are what one would see if they right clicked on a file in
> Windows Explorer and chose the Properties dialog.
>
> Sample exe file properties:
> - product name
> - product version
> - product description
> - copyright
> - exe icon
>
> Use case: We have a single exe whose file properties we would like to
> customize for specific customers.
>
> An alternative question would be is there a way to update an exe's
> file properties using an external resource file?
>
> Or would I be better off finding a Windows utility that might allow me
> to script exe resource file updates?

There are many Resource Editors available on the web today that can
handle replacing resources in an existing executable, although there are
no APIs for doing so.  See, for example, "resource hacker".

There are many valid uses for having multiple external resource DLLs.
That's the way internationalization is often done.  You have one
resource-only DLL for each language, and the main program looks up
resources there first.  But if you want to change what Windows Explorer
shows, then you have little choice other than modifying the executable
file itself.