Bill wrote:

>So I went to look in c:/Windows/System32/, and sure enough, there it is:
>
>$ file /c/Windows/System32/python27.dll
>/c/Windows/System32/python27.dll: PE32 executable for MS Windows (DLL) (GUI)
>Intel 80386 32-bit
>$

On 64-bit Windows, 32-bit DLLs need to be installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, not
C:\Windows\System32.  Yes, that's not a typo.

When a 32-bit application refers to System32, the operating system
automatically rewrites the path to SysWOW64.  Now, if your Cygwin is a 32-bit
app, it could be getting fooled as well.  I suggest you start up a command
shell and see where the file really lives.  If it really lives in system32,
you'll need to move it.