Tony Wallace wrote:

> This is what happens when I try and install pywin32:
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
> binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
> installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Is there a specific reason you need to build it from source?  I've been
using Python on Windows for at least a dozen years, and I've never used
anything other than the installer.  It's much more convenient, less
error-prone, plus I get the added benefit of an uninstaller.

Any time I have the choice in a Python module, I fetch a pre-built
installer.

If you do need to build from source, then you either need to upgrade to
a more recent Python (version 2.6 is now built with Visual Studio 2008)
or go find VS2003.