On 12/2/22 4:25 AM, QMUL_EECS DVS wrote:

Thanks for replying. Apologies for my vague question, let me see if I can rephrase: I want to run pywin inside an aws instance, which only allows for command line interface.

Currently I can use pywin in my local machine, but it needs to open Visio and Word windows. However, in the aws instance it throws an error:
‘ Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Program Files\Python37\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 86, in _GetGoodDispatch

IDispatch = pythoncom.connect(IDispatch)

pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221021, 'Operation unavailable', None, None)

File "C:\Program Files\Python37\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 89, in _GetGoodDispatch

IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch

pywintypes.com_error: (-2147024891, 'Access is denied.', None, None)’

Is it related to the fact that I can’t open Visio/ Word windows? If so, is there a way for me to avoid this error?

The first and most obvious question is, do you actually have Office and Visio installed on your AWS instance?  How did you do that without a UI?  Launching Word like this usually does not bring up a UI window unless you specifically set "xxx.Visible = True", so I'm guessing there's something else going on.

--
Tim Roberts,t...@probo.com