Hi there

Know haven't posted on this list for a little while now, but, thought may as well ask if any of you guys have an idea about what seems to be a pretty common issue, but, with no specific, or consistent workarounds that am finding mention of via various google searches, etc.

Effectively, if trying to use either the imaplib, or the poplib modules to query a remote mail server inbox, to then parse the mail messages contents, to insert them into a postgresql database, for more efficient querying/referencing, I am, at times - not consistently at all - receiving one of the two following messages, depending on which protocol/client I was trying to make use of:-

the error message/exception information am getting from imap is the following:
imaplib.IMAP4.abort: command: FETCH => socket error: EOF

the pop3 error message is the following:
poplib.error_proto: -ERR EOF

For example, if just run same code against my one test server, with just 100 messages in the inbox, it works fine every time on both protocols, but, when try run it against the live mailbox, which has over 2 million mails in it, this happens on a regular, if inconsistent basis when you try retrieving specific messages each time, based on their server-side UID/ID.

So, just wondering if anyone has come across things like this before, has ideas about implementing a form of timeout, or connection renewal, or if you have ideas about additional resources could try making use of instead for this type of thing - main thing is want to be able to, initially at least, just parse all the mail contents, updating the database on a repeated basis, since this inbox receives a lot of e-mails every hour/day, and, possibly, later on, be able to retrieve or interact with mail messages as well?

Thanks in advance

--

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791