On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Amit Aronovitch wrote:

> Rereading my essay, I think I begin to understand where the "mutable -
> immutable" comments come from
> (You see - it was even useful to ME ;-) )

if you simply let the link i sent you sink in - you'll see part of the
light.

i will still insist on using the name variables, because i want my pupils
to be able to quickly switch to new programming languages in the future,
and not have a fixation about "how things were in python, and why it
doesn't work in C". by not telling them there are other things, i will
only create confusion in the long-run.

eventually, they have to realize that what is important is not how you
call something, but rather what it does.

>  If we stick to "examples should only use code that does useful things"
> (one of the best tips I recently learned from you :-) ), you'll only be
> able to see any difference between the two variable models if your
> objects are mutable. List is the first multable type in this course, so
> nowyour comments make more sense to me.

if you judge what i write without looking at the entire course, then
you'll miss the point. unlike my pupils, i expect you to see the big
picture all the time ;)

and by the way, i am going to teach about about changing lists -
programming is very limited if you don't change objects. i can show you my
checkers game, in which i take advantage of this feature (and which is
what led me to figure out this references issue in python, in the first
place).

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,