Unfortunately I dont have any experience with Backburner submissions, since I
have never used it in a pipeline other than submitting to it from a gui.

Here is an example of a preRender script:

In file /network/path/to/myPreRender.mel:

global proc doStuff()
{
        // all your preRender Stuff here
}

Then in your render command:
cmdjob -preRender "source /network/path/to/myPreRender.mel; doStuff();"

But from your latest information, it seems you have other problems as well,
such as defining your frame ranges.
Since I again don't know much about backburner I will take a blind stab...

> Calling '"C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/bin/Render"  -s
> \Undefined -e \Undefined -of png -fnc name.#.ext -pad 3 -im ATR24 -r
> mr -cam audienceCam -alpha 0 -log z:/renderLogs/ATR24_log.txt -rd Z:

It seems like maybe your string formatting is not correct so it cant slot in
your frame ranges. I assume %tp2 and %tp3
are to be replaced from within backburner, correct? Have you tried NOT escaping
those parts in the string?

' cmdjob -jobName ' + jobName + params  + taskListFile + ' -taskName 1 ' \
+ mayaPath + ' -s %tp2  -e %tp3 ' + ' -of png -fnc name.#.ext -pad 3 -im ' \
+ imageName + ' -r mr -cam ' + renderCam + ' -alpha 0 ' + ' -log
z:/renderLogs/ATR24_log.txt -rd ' \
+ destPath + scene2Render

>From the looks of the error output, its retaining those backslashes. And I
>guess if you are seeing Undefined, that is
backburner not properly slotting in your ranges from whatever problem you are
having with your tasklist definition.
That part I unfortunately cant offer any insight.