Actually let me clarify..
My app doesn't actually directly start using mayapy as the interp. It uses a
normal python interpreter but it calls out to a command line only tool which
DOES use mayapy to do standalone maya commands

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2012/en_us/PyMel/standalone.html

As far as I know, you can't actually run a pyqt app directly under maya
standalone because I think the main thread blocks and doesn't process any
events on your qt event loop... which kind of refers back to the whole
pumpThread fix from pre maya 2010 days.

Though I think its a pretty simple approach to just design your UI completely
separate in PyQt anyways. If you wanted to get fancier in being able to call
out to your maya standalone process and didn't want to incur load times each
time you run the command, I bet you could do something fun like starting up the
tool right away in a separate process and communicate with it via interprocess
communication  :-)