I think you miss understood my reply.  I'll try to clarify a little more.

In your code example you did...

app = QApplication.instance()
pumpThread.initializePumpThread()
app.setStyleSheet(setQtCSS())

*app* is in your *current *namespace.  So if pumpThread hasn't been run
once *app *will be None (hence your error)
The pumpThread module may or may not be creating your main QApplication
(you'll have to check).   I can't remember it off hand.  But if it does,
then you need to  initializePumpThread before you declare app.

Like this...

pumpThread.initializePumpThread()
*app *= QApplication.instance() # now app will not be None as pumpThread
will have started qApp
*app*.setStyleSheet(setQtCSS())

If pumpThread isn't making the qApp instance the code I linked to shows how
to do that.

see...
app = None

def get_app():
        global app
        return app

def set_app(i_app):
        global app
        testAppInstance = QtCore.QCoreApplication.instance()
        if testAppInstance:
                app = testAppInstance
        else:
                app = i_app