Interesting
a)
  just how many nodes are you using?
b)
  Are they all active and used in the same scene?
c)
  Do you have a lot of file references, textures etc. linked in and working on
a network server rather than a hard drive?
d)
  How much memory does your machine have?

  I'm asking since it does take a considerable amount of non-thumbnail nodes to
slow down the hypershade but to date I've never seen a scene which requires
enough nodes so the editor itself struggles to list them.... ( I'd guess
running a few optimisation tricks on the scene, splitting the shaders into sets
and selectively load them into the scene, or even do you shader assignment so
that it dynamically imports the shaders at render time.  Those would be easy
ones to lighten up the scene, but hard to say for sure without an example or a
node reference number)