I tried to use your case and did an update, and it failed badly...
Even so, my method was wrong to begin with, i think. It already fails if I
am trying to do the counter in the middle of the naming

def uniqueNamePattern(base=""):
    i = 1
    customRepl = base.format('x') != base

    if customRepl:
        name = base.format(i)
    else:
        name = base

    while cmds.objExists(name):
        i += 1
        base = base + "{0:0>3}".format(1)
        if customRepl:
            name = base
            print "name1 : ", name
        else:
            name = "{0}{1}".format(base, i)
            print "name2 : ", name

    return name

cmds.group(name=uniqueNamePattern("test_"))