Ok, Alok, I had a closer look at your example and the bisect module in
Python.

In my example, a dict replaces bisect. The dict is limited, in that once a
parent at the same level as an above parent appears, the above parent
vanishes from consideration. But in this case, maybe that works to our
advantage? Could you tell me about your motivation for using bisect?