I find examples are often the best way of getting a point across, and I
think what Justin is saying is that in place of this..

import maya.cmds as _temp_cmds

You do..

import maya.cmds

And then use maya.cmds wherever you would normally use _temp_cmds. This
way, nothing is redefined and nothing needs cleaning up. And you’ve even
saved yourself from typing one character less. :)
​