I don't have Arnold installed here so I can't help a whole lot, but I can
use very similar script to set "diffuse" on a Lambert material. This works
for me:
import pymel.core as pm
name = 'CHROME'
shaderType = 'lambert'
name = pm.shadingNode(shaderType, asShader=True,  name=name)
sg = pm.sets(renderable=True, noSurfaceShader=True, empty=True, name='%sSG'
%(name))
pm.setAttr('%s.diffuse' %(name),0.25)

I'd be looking at the attribute name. Is 'kd' a valid attribute on a
aiStandard material node? Maybe create the node and set the attribute using
Hypershade, then look in the Script Editor and see what MEL commands have
been printed.