Thanks Gonzalo for your help.  I have read both the ctypes and
microsoft documentation.  My understanding is that I need to use the
CreateFile API function from the coredll to get a handle to the comm
port.  When I use ctypes:

>>> windll.coredll.CreateFile

I get an AttributeError saying the CreateFile function is not found.
Ironically, the ReadFile, WriteFile, and CloseHandle functions are all
found.

Am I just missing something simple here?

Ben