Well, it works! I realised I had not updated the DLL on my device (that's
what comes of working late). Just for the record, I have tested two methods,
and both work fine to pass a string to a C dll requiring a char * input:

1. use mystr1=c_char_p("mystring")
2. use mystr2=create_string_buffer("mystring")

Both methods require the ctypes module and work equally well with the DLL,
but there are some differences (all of which I am not aware at the moment).
Method 1 creates a ctypes Array object, whereas method 2 appears to create
something which behaves more like a standard Python string.

Adam